Aero Immigration

Work Permit

Every year, more than 150,000 foreign workers come to Canada to work temporarily. A work permit is required for most of the temporary jobs.

Following documents must be submitted to apply for a work permit from outside Canada:

  • A job offer from a Canadian employer
  • A completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
  • , and
  • Written confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion and in most of the cases is obtained by the employer.

You also need to:

  • Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate).
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

In addition to obtaining a work permit, you must also meet the general requirements for entering and staying in the country and for this reason you need a temporary residence visa. If you want to bring your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children with you to Canada, then they have to also apply for a temporary residence visa for Canada. Your accompanying family members may also be able to work here by virtue of the permit you have obtained yourself. No other authorization is required.

People in the following categories need a work permit but do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC).

Workers covered under international agreements

Entrepreneurs and intra-company transferees

Participants in exchange programs

Co-op students


Academics and students

Religious workers

Others (Refugees)

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

  • You have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
  • You have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
  • You have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six?months or more or
  • You are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.


Documents and other requirements to apply for a work permit from inside Canada are the same as for applying from outside Canada.

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are temporary resident visa exempt and
  • Your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC or
  • You hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC. (Issued before you enter)


    You are here: Home Work Permit